Wednesday, November 4, 2009





It is my goal to only eat meals that cost under $6. I have a meal plan through my fraternity, but I have decided to abandon this option for the simple fact that I would not be able to know exactly how much each of my meals cost. I know what we are supposed to be paying per meal, but seeing the grocery bills that our cook has racked up, I am positive she is running over budget in a big way. The first thought that came to my head when I learned which diet I would be studying was fast food. I am not a big fast food fan, but it seemed impossible to eat on such a budget without the occasional dollar menu item. I am even less of a fan of cooking, but I am sure I will have to be doing my fair share of cooking over the next few days. First stop, Harris Teeter. At Teeter, I bought:
Spicy Roll Sushi - $5.89
Dozen Born Free Cage Free Large Brown Eggs (Certified Humane) – $3.99
Whole Grain Chicken, Broccoli and Cheddar Lean Pockets - $3.99 for a pack of 3
Michael Angelo’s Vegetable Lasagna frozen dinner - $4.29
I also made my rounds to the various fast food places in barracks. The first rule of dining cheap at a fast food restaurant was quickly apparent. Don’t get a drink, or if you do, get the free water cup. A large soda is a quick way to burn through close to a third of you meal budget. But enough of this fast food business. I just bought a good amount of food.
My breakfast today consisted of 4 eggs scrambled with a pinch of shredded cheddar cheese found in the kitchen at my house. The fact that I even ate breakfast was surprising since I usually don’t. For lunch I had the sushi, and for dinner I had the lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment